Delphine Braas is the Co-Founder of Sailo. Sailo is an online boat rental marketplace. They make it possible for people to enjoy the boating lifestyle.
How did you meet your founders/building a team?
- B-School friends
- Find people with different skills than ours.
- Make sure you get along. Have a trial period.
- Make things happen
What was your biggest hurdle building the brand from scratch?
- The key message of the brand
- Customer discovery- focus groups, face to face interviews, surveys. Understanding the consumer.
- Important to know the needs of the consumer.
- Speak to people
- Spend several weeks going at it in the beginning.
- Define the target market
What are the challenges that you as new start up has faced?
- Lack of time.
- Learning how to prioritize.
- Weekly updates.
- Step back and see the difference between the long term goals and the short term strategy.
How has your funding process been?
- Started by raising money from friends, family, angel investors.
- Important to make our pitch short and sweet.
- Get people interested and show the big picture.
As a woman entrepreneur what is your success factors?
- Step up and do not take a back seat.
- Play on your skills.
- You don’t have to have a formal mentor relationship.
- Attend a lot of networking events.
- Reach out to a professor in college.
Critical steps in bulding a company/band
- Validating the idea.
- Find team with a different skill set.
- Do the hustle.
If you can offer one piece of advice to an entrepreneur, what would it be?
- Make sure to choose carefully.
What trophy would you want on your mantle?
The Americas Cup.
What is your guilty pleasure?
Melt Belgian chocolate in a bowl.
What are our currently reading?
Smile and the world smiles back at you.
What would you change, if you had a chance?
Don’t be afraid to do what you love.
20% OFF your Boat Ride if you enter the Code: WOMENRENEUR on www.sailo.com